Tourist or local, this list will help you better explore the DMV (District, Maryland, Virginia).
- The Kreeger Museum (largely because of the brilliance of Pritzker Prize winner Philip Johnson). Grab a sandwich at Jetties (on Foxhall) before or after.
- Momofuku (sure, for the food, but really for The Royal Tenenbaums shout-out. You know, Miguel Calderon’s painting “Bad Route“).
- Blagden Alley, because Eleanor Roosevelt once described it as “the most despicable place on earth.” Also, because of the Tiny Fellas installation opposite one of the best coffee shops in DC, La Colombe.
- Union Market. For the coffee, the movies, the gin, the food, and the presents.
- Glenstone (in Potomac) for Jeff Koons’ Split Rocker. You need to reserve tickets (free) before you go.
- Accokeek Foundation (on the Potomac) for the views of Mount Vernon. Thank you Congresswoman Frances Bolton for preserving the views that George Washington would have enjoyed while drinking his coffee and looking out over the Potomac River.